India in West Indies 2009| ODI #1
Date: 26 Jun, 2009
Venue: Kingston, Jamaica
Toss: India won the toss and elected to bat first.
First Inning (Max: 50 overs)
India score 339 for a loss of 6 wickets in 50 overs.
- Low: Indians, who opened with Dinesh and Gambhir, were 32 for 2 in 7.2 overs with the loss of Gambhir and Rohit’s wickets. Both exposing the inability to handle the short balls with perfection.
- High: 135 runs partnership in 128 balls between Yuvraj and Dinesh for the third wicket.
- High: 86 runs partnership in 57 balls between Yuvraj and Dhoni for the fourth wicket.
- High: 131 (102) by Yuvraj, 67 (77) by Dinesh, 41 (46) by Dhoni, 40 (53) by Yusuf and a handy 21(13), including 2 sixes, by Harbhajan in the end.
Second Inning (Max: 50 Overs)
West Indies got out scoring 319 runs in 48.1 overs, falling short of the target by 21 runs.
- High: Balanced start, posting 65 runs before Gayle was out by Nehra in the tenth over.
- High: All 4 batsmen at the top of the order: Gayle – 37, Mortaon – 42, Sarwan -45, Chanderpaul- 63, kept the chase alive till the loss of Chanderpaul’s wicket, at the score of 224 (5th Wicket) in 35.4 overs.
- Low: The score read 250/7 in 39.3 overs and it looked like Indians were heading for an easy victory, but it was still not all over.
- High: The addition of 68 runs in the next 48 balls for the loss of only one wicket.
- Low: Loss of the ninth wicket at 318 in the 48th over.
West Indies required 21 runs in the last 12 balls with one wicket in hand. After a long discussion, Nehra was handed over the ball and got the required wicket on the first ball of the over, leaving West Indies with 20 runs trail.
Dhoni was not very excited over the victory that the team should have gotten easily and did not miss to mention that the players got too relaxed after the fall of the seventh West Indian wicket. He also praised Yuvraj’s knock and his consistency in last two years.
India defeated West Indies by 20 runs